FROM MARLBOROUGH HALL TO WHITEHALL
The doors of Whitehall College of Further Education at Colaiste Caoimhin, Mobhi Road in Glasnevin were opened to the local residents to enjoy the history of the area and building as narrated by Louis O’Flaherty - “From Marlborough to Whitehall”. The building designed by James Franklin Fuller in 1834 as a teacher training college has since been home to a military convalescent home, an Irish speaking preparatory teaching college, the Finance branch of the Department of Defence, the Army and most recently to Whitehall College providing further education courses to the local community and beyond. Local residents had the opportunity to listen to the talk, enjoy a short tour guided by the students and a chat over a cup of tea. Many commented on living in the area all their lives but never having been in the building. We hope that our neighbours will have reason to visit Whitehall College again – as described by Louis O’Flaherty the landmark building, “built on the hill, overlooking the river, facing the sun”.